How to keep a clutter free home

thumbnail_fullsizerender
‘A place for everything and everything in its place’

Once you’ve spent the time de-cluttering your home and minimising your possessions it’s time to organise what you have left – your essentials.

I found once I completed my last final big purge of our possessions we had far more storage and room available to utilise than I originally thought.

I managed to create the space to enable me to get more organised and to give everything I needed to keep its place. This makes it much easier to keep a clutter free and tidy home.

• Everything in its place – Give every item you own its place where you return the item once you’ve finished using it. For example I have a shelf in a cupboard just for candles. We like to fill our home with scented candles during the evenings but I don’t like them left on surfaces or shelves as they make our space look cluttered. When we have finished using the candle of choice it is stored away until its next use.
  • If it takes 2 minutes do it now – Remote controls on coffee table (store away after use), kitchen bin full (take the rubbish out), freshly washed clothes out the dryer (fold or hang in wardrobe), shoe’s & bags discarded of once home (store away or hang as soon as you get home) and take care of the mail as soon as you get home. Don’t let the little tasks accumulate – get it done right away.
  • Keep surfaces clear – I only keep the daily essentials out on my kitchen counter tops. Everyone’s essentials will be different but mine just include a kettle, fruit bowl, scales & hand wash by the sink. Everything else has a space of its own in the kitchen cupboards. My friend joked recently that it looked like we’d been robbed but I just like clear surfaces! J
  • Make the bed every morning – an unmade bed stresses me out. It makes my bedroom look so unkempt! As soon as the husband is up I make the bed. I’d let him do it but he just doesn’t make it as nice as me! I don’t have throw pillows or decorative pillows anymore on the bed as they seem so pointless to me but each to their own.
  • Purge often – even after you’ve done your big de-clutter of each room you’ll need to take stock of your possessions on a regular basis if you want to keep clutter at bay. I do this weekly when I do a deep clean of the whole house.
  • Reset to zero every night before bed – spend just 10-20minutes (depending on how big your home is) tidying items away. Before bed I make sure I put everything in the dishwasher & wipe the kitchen sides down, put remotes away, clear the coffee table, fluff the sofa cushions, tidy the cats toys away, clear any clutter from the dining table & dresser and give the bathroom a quick tidy. This means I wake up to an immaculate home and enjoy my mornings before the working day starts.
  • Fridge & food cupboards – Clean out your fridge & food cupboards on your food shop days to stop out of date items accumulating. It’s great for taking stock of what you have enough of or are running out of and need to replace too.
  • And lastly mind clutter – had a bad day? Either speak to a loved one and get it all out or write it down in a journal. Just get it out of your mind and start fresh the next day.

How do you keep a clutter free home?

11 thoughts on “How to keep a clutter free home

1. mossandmabel says:

I love that you mentioned mind clutter, and couldn’t agree more that talking about your bad day makes it seem better. When I have a moan about my day I often end up laughing about it. This is a really nice list, I think your point on clearing food cupboards before the weekly shop is so simple but effective. Great post.

2. Kitty says:

I like the idea of “resetting to zero” each night! It seems like it would make waking up so much nicer because you know you’re getting up to a clean home! Thanks for the suggestions; I’ll definitely be trying some of these. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

3. jessicaconstable says:

I love the 2 minute rule reminder- the little items really start to snowball! I also like the spruce up you do of your home before bed. This implies that you aren’t rolling off the sofa into bed, bleary-eyed after watching just one more episode…and this is where I need to be. I’ll get there!

One thing you haven’t mentioned that I find useful is not letting anyone give you paper. Be it receipts or leaflets, don’t let them put it in your hand. This stuff always ends up being lurking clutter if I let it through the door!

Liked by 1 person

• reynoldsmade says:

It really does work! Maybe try and do it after dinner and before you settle down to some TV watching? It makes my mornings so much calmer waking up to a tidy home 🙂 Hah absolutely, I detest the take-away menu’s and post that comes through the door – straight into the recycling it goes! x

Liked by 2 people

4. mama in the country says:

I am struggling here! I’ve done the initial purge including toys no longer played with, clothes we don’t wear, kitchen items not used often enough but now I’m stuck!! I’ve hit a wall, but thanks for these tips – every day is a new day and I can tackle a new project! Love your writing!!

• jessicaconstable says:

What are your next goals? What is your aim? I followed Marie Kondo’s technique and even got down to clearing out my ‘just in case’ drawer (yes I had batteries that had started to leak they’d been there so long…) and my notepads and pens (how much stationery can I even get through in this lifetime?!). Maybe these will help you keep the wheels turning towards that minimal home 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• reynoldsmade says:

Hi Jessica 🙂 Stationery really piles up doesn’t it?! I think the next step is not adding any more items that are going to likely need to be de-cluttered in the future. Creating a wish list and giving everything you bring into your home in the future a lot of thought.

Liked by 2 people

• jessicaconstable says:

The wish list is key. And a shopping list. I fall into buying things on discount and extra pieces when I pop in for milk at Tesco… although I do use these up, I’m not sure if I ever save money in the long term!

Liked by 1 person

• reynoldsmade says:

I switched to online food shopping with Sainsbury’s and I seem to be spending less? I suppose you can’t be tempted if you have a list of what you need and just search for those items on the online shop. I don’t like having to pay for delivery though so try and pick the cheapest times which is after 7pm and just £1! x

Liked by 2 people