If you’re trying to save money OR reduce what you bring into your home you may like this list. These are the items I no longer buy and my bank balance is happier for it.
- Eye cream or any cream that promises to fix any of the things on my face the world’s media deems to be unattractive on women – None do what they promise anyway.
- Lunch out on working days at the office – I used to spend so much money on food but now I prepare a lunch at home and bring it in.
- Fashion magazines – I have no interest in celebrity gossip or pages and pages of advertisements of things I don’t need or can ill afford.
- Handbags – My collection almost tipped the 30 mark last year (why did I ever think I needed that many options!?) and now I have 4 that I use regularly.
- The latest miracle working face wash or treatment – I found a good face mask, face wash, make-up remover & face cream. That’s all I need. I do not need a magical serum to shrink my pores. They are perfectly fine the size they are and if you don’t like them don’t stare at my face close up, thank you.
- Books – I used to take full advantage of the one click purchase on Amazon, read the book and then give it away or worst store it away never to be touched again. Now I borrow from friends or use a library.
- Take out coffee – I don’t need to travel far on a daily basis as all our family & friends live close by and we both live 10mins from our offices. There is no reason I can’t wait until I get to work to make a free coffee in the staff room.
- Shaving gel – hair conditioner works just as well!
- Manicures/Pedicures – Really not worth the money. I don’t like to pay someone to do something I’m perfectly capable of doing myself.
- Plastic bags – Bad for the environment and on average 5p a go. I ensure I have room in my backpack for smaller items and we take a few Ikea bags with us when we do large food shops. As anything I buy now is planned and intentional I always have something to carry items home in.
- Plastic wrap – we use containers to store leftovers and lunchboxes for work lunches.
- Seasonal décor – We have our Christmas decorations and they are stored well every year. We don’t need to add to what we already have.
Are there any things you no longer spend money on or refuse to clutter up your home with?