“How we spend our days is how we spend our lives” – Annie Dillard
One of my main goals for 2017 is to live more intentionally on a daily basis. By living intentionally I mean being intentional with my time and choosing to do what matters most to me.
We are faced with numerous decisions on a daily basis and it’s all too easy to pick the easiest option or do something simply because we are either expected to or it’s what someone else wants us to do.
I work a 9-5 job and of course I can’t just turn up and do what I like all day. I have certain responsibilities and tasks I have to complete. But right now I do get to pick what I do with my mornings, evenings and weekends.
I set myself the goal of working towards a more creative future career and practising minimalism on a daily basis. As long as I do something each day that enables me to work towards the changes I want to see then that puts me on the path to achievement. For me a daily task could be but not limited to:
- Take one photograph and critique the outcome
- Attend the 3 hour photography class on a Monday evening up until July this year
- Write a blog post
- Read an article on minimalism practises
- Declutter a room/drawer in my home
- Learn a new function on my camera
It doesn’t really matter what your goals or aims are for this year but if you are not intentional with your time you will not achieve them. Every day is a fresh start and you have the opportunity to do even the smallest simplest thing to help you on your way to achieving them.
I’ve found deleting apps from my phone, less TV and earlier mornings has helped free up so much time. I don’t want to waste a minute on social media if it takes me away from working towards my future. Don’t get me wrong I do still enjoy a movie or a TV programme marathon with the husband but I usually plan these for when I need a rest and a break.
If you want to be more intentional with your time in general or to help you work towards a goal this year you could try:
- Single tasking and less multi-tasking
- Turn off notifications and set times to check emails/social media
- Unsubscribe – less information overload
- Stop over committing your time
- Get rid of clutter
- Don’t aim for 24/7 productivity.
- Plan your rest – it’s very important not to burn yourself out
- Stick to an evening and morning routine
- Plan your day and tasks as soon as you wake up
- Most importantly know your priorities and do what makes you happiest.