Needs & Wants

wrh

We all need basic necessity’s to live a happy, healthy and content life.

My necessities include food, shelter, clothing and a car to get to and from my job. I am in a small percentage of the world’s population that is lucky enough to have all of these basic needs met and the more time I spend researching minimalism the more I realise just how lucky I am.

I fell into the trap of consumerism and wholly believed that excessive purchases were making me happy. I believed that spending my entire disposable income every month and filling my wardrobe and house would lead me to a content life.

Now looking back over the past 7 years I am filled with regret. Regret that I didn’t save more of my money and regret wasting it on material items that only gave me 5 minutes of joy before they became just another item to store or look at in my home.

If you want to live a minimalist lifestyle you need to determine what is a need and what is a want. We all need clothing to keep us warm (quite frankly it is frowned upon to walk around naked in this day and age too!) but we don’t need excessive amounts. We all need a roof over our heads and a bed to sleep in each night but we do not need an excessive amount of space or rooms we barely use.

Bigger isn’t better and more isn’t better.

It’s all very well if you have de-cluttered your wardrobe and home but unless you tackle the spending and shopping habits you have formed in the past you are going to end up back where you started.

Before you buy any pieces of clothing ask yourself – Do I really need this? Is it to replace an older item that is beyond repair or doesn’t fit anymore? Do I already own something similar? Or am I just spending money and buying myself something because I feel a little low, bored or restless?

Analyse how you feel every time you are tempted to add more to your life and learn to differentiate between needs and wants. Your bank balance will thank you for it as will your future self. If you are regularly bored or feeling low there are issue’s you need to work through – buying material possessions will not solve these problems. Be conscious of how you are feeling during these times and work towards making the necessary changes in your life permanently.

13 thoughts on “Needs & Wants

• reynoldsmade says:

Definately. I love how many people have watched The Minimalists documentray on Netflix now. They’re getting the word out. There seems to be so many more documentaries and articles around at the moment that I think there could be real change in the future.

1. jessicaconstable says:

This is the kind of article I want to ram down the throats of certain people (in a living non-violent way!). Dealing with your emotions and not just numbing yourself with tv and shopping may be hard work, but surely worth it when you edit that vicious cycle. Great post!

Liked by 1 person

• reynoldsmade says:

Thanks Jessica! Indeed its the easy thing to do and it dosen’t give you long lasting happiness. But hard to get out of the habit – it takes commitment and time. I still feel like I’m learning so much about myself with less distractions around.

Liked by 2 people

• jessicaconstable says:

Yes, it can be painful. I guess then it’s about a commitment to the idea that it will be better for you in the longhaul. It’s a bit like choosing to come off an addiction! It’s just advertising has convinced most that tv and consumerism is a worthy normal addiction to have. Sigh…

• reynoldsmade says:

And it makes it hard to go against the grain. To go in the opposite direction to what is perceived as the norm. You have to be brave and confident in how you want to live your life and not be swayed by those that don’t understand!

2. Bailey says:

“Am I just spending money and buying myself something because I feel a little low, bored or restless?”

This one gets me every time. Trying to develop some good habits to keep myself from falling into the “trend” trap.

Liked by 1 person

• reynoldsmade says:

It’s really hard changing this habit especially if you’ve done it your whole life or learnt it from those you look up to. I’ve found starting up hobbies I’ve always wanted to try has helped a lot – if I feel low or bored now I’ll play with my camera or research & write a blog post instead 🙂

Liked by 2 people