Common Misconceptions of Minimalism

oxleas-3

Minimalists never spend money

Minimalist’s do spend money but they spend it intentionally and mindfully.  It’s spending money on items that need replacing and not buying multiples of one thing which are unnecessary or treating shopping as a hobby or social event. I’ve stopped buying cheap fashion clothes that need replacing after 2 washes and I’m actually spending more on single items that will last the test of time – therefore saving me money in the long term. It’s also a much more ethical approach to how much we consume and throw away.

All minimalists live with a set number of things

The idea of owning just 100 items or just 33 items of clothing is not the basis of Minimalism. People use a set number as a tool to help them downsize their belongings. It gives them an end goal and it helps them eliminate excess. I have never used this method myself but I have found decluttering and downsizing my possessions an easy task; not everyone does.

You are not a Minimalist unless you are an extreme minimalist

You can live a minimalist lifestyle no matter how many items you own. What’s minimal to you will be different to what is minimal to someone else. There is no right or wrong. The point of minimalism is to live intentionally with just what you need – no excess. Do it your way.

If your partner is not minimalist then you can’t be one

It can be tricky if you and your partner have very different views on how you want to live your lives but with any difference you may have to your partner, it’s all about compromise and hopefully you’ll inspire them in the long run. My partner is not minimalist but he is supportive of the fact that I am.

Minimalism is a religion

Minimalism is a tool and lifestyle not a religion. You only have to believe that possessions do not equal happiness and that you’ll be happier and more content wanting less.

19 thoughts on “Common Misconceptions of Minimalism

1. Vicki says:

A great post.

I’ve gradually downsized my belongings, especially clothes, when I was forced to take early retirement due to chronic ill health 7 years ago. As a single person living on a frugal Government Disability pension I have naturally learned to only spend money on what is really important in my life. It happens to be my Photography hobby.

I’ve found it very liberating downsizing. Not so much ‘stuff’ to gather dust and create housework.

I think my minimalistic lifestyle really took hold when my 88 yr old Mother passed away 5 years ago and I had to go through her clothes. What a nightmare. She had some 50 pairs of slacks and so many shirts and cardigans that I could have opened a clothing shop.

She even had over 100 cookery books even though she hadn’t used them for some 20 years.

My philosophy now is…….if you haven’t used something in 4-5 years, pass it on to charities or those in need. ‘Re-home’ is my motto.

….and spend money on what you need, not necessarily on what you want. I know spending money keeps people in jobs and keeps the economy rolling, but excessive spending…..no 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. Pingback: In lumina
  3. Mags says:

These are some great points, I think its easy to get overwhelmed with the myths of minimalism. As someone trying to become more of one, I think the key is small steps and realizing its a lifestyle and not a “diet” if you get what I mean.

• reynoldsmade says:

Absolutely get what you mean. It’s a continuous way of life with so many benefits. It’s a tool to change our bad habits and we should all do it our own way and at our own pace. Thanks for stopping by 🙂

Liked by 1 person

4. practicingpiper says:

Thank you for this. As I’m dipping my foot into the minimalist world, I am seeing people ask others for permission of letting things go and feeling bad about keeping a scrapbook and being one item away from reaching 100 and it somewhat turns me off. I also wonder how those people haven’t driven themselves crazy. Less stuff, but more mental clutter.
    Do I need to get rid of excess in my house? Yes, over time and with focus that will happen, but I am also not about living bare bones. My house will feel homey and lovely even if I have stuff on my walls. I guess I’m doing my own version of minimalist…lol.

Liked by 1 person

5. devisecreateconcoct says:

A great post to encourage those toying with the idea of minimalism. I started with baby steps and found such a positive outcome that it just snowballed from there. Life is so much better with less stuff.

6. Sam says:

This is SO true and exactly what I try to explain to my friends and family who don’t quite get it. Birthday’s and Christmas are definitely the hardest things to explain and my MIL in particular doesn’t like to work to a list. My husband is starting to embrace the lifestyle after watching the documentary mentioned by Dave and he has noticed quite a change in my mental health since I started the journey.

Liked by 1 person

• reynoldsmade says:

I understand what you mean about others and gifts. It’s also hard when people want to give you stuff just because they don’t want it but don’t want it to go to waste. I’ve had to refuse many 2nd hand items recently that I just don’t need. I find people can get easily offended though…

That’s wonderful! I think it’s great they did that documentary and made it easy for others to understand the amazing benefits of minimalism.

Thank you for commenting Sam.

7. Anjela Dhona says:

When a conflict arises’ whether to buy it or not’ while shopping ….imagine having the sum of money it would cost to buy that thing in one hand, and the thing which you wanna buy in the other hand…Now choose for yourself .Buy doing this you’ll know if what you desired to buy is necessary or not. It really works for me. Hope it works for you too.Thankyou.

Liked by 2 people

• reynoldsmade says:

Thank you. I certainly have and yes I watched the documentary with my husband. He found it very interesting and agreed with all of it which was great for me 🙂 I need to listen to some of their podcasts too.

Liked by 2 people

• Dave Gardner says:

Yeah. I haven’t listened to them, but believe they will be terrific as the demonstrate how to apply this to many aspects of our lives. Have a great weekend!