This is a new series all about health. I have made the decision to change the ways in which I take care of myself. Regular exercise and a healthier lifestyle have been on my mind a lot lately and it’s about time I began to work towards these goals.
I’ve never really cared much about my health before and I think that’s due to having such a fast metabolism. I’ve always been able to eat what I want and I only associated eating healthy and exercising with people who are trying to lose weight; which is probably down to my social conditioning but mostly ignorance on my part.
Lately though I have noticed the physical effects of a poor diet and no exercise. My energy levels are currently at rock bottom, my skin is BAD and I feel that I actually look unwell most days. I don’t like what I see in the mirror and I’m fast losing all body confidence. But it’s not all about the physical effects for me, its also about anxiety and mental health. I’ve ignored the ever present advice on the benefits of regular exercise but it’s all finally sunk in.
So my main goals over the next few months are to start some healthy habits including drinking more water, exercising and eating a little better.
Making a Plan – Exercise
Right now I do NO exercise.
- // Set attainable goals – I’ve always been an all in kind of person with most things but this has never worked when I’ve approached regular exercise. I plan on toning up and improving flexibility first by doing 10-15mins daily until it becomes part of my normal routine. Then increase this time incorporating workout DVD’s and our exercise bike. I really want to try yoga too.
- // Accountability – I plan on speaking to the hubby about my new wellness journey and I’m hoping we can work out together. He’s very disciplined when it comes to his health and working out so I’m hoping that will rub off on me. Plus I know he’ll give me a hard time if I start slacking!
- // Enjoyment & mixing things up – I don’t want exercise to feel like a chore and I don’t want to do the same thing over and over as I know I’ll lose motivation. I have scoured the internet and I’ve printed off many different types of exercises and circuits I can do at home for toning & flexibility so I’ll try one of those a day to begin with.
Making a Plan – Water In-take
At present I get through a 75 Cl bottle of water whilst at work and maybe a pint of water at home? I want to more than double this which will take me just over the recommended daily amount. I really notice a difference in my energy levels when I drink enough water throughout the day.
- // Drink a pint of water as soon as I wake up
- // Drink one 75 Cl bottle of water before lunch (equal to 1.3 pints)
- // Drink one 75 Cl bottle of water after lunch (equal to 1.3 pints)
- // Drink a pint of water before bed
Making a Plan – Food
I already eat quite a varied diet with healthy dinners but I do make bad choices on the regular during the day time and we often have a take away at the weekend. Don’t get me started on my treat in-take, it is off the charts!
- // Cut sugar out of my daily tea/coffee (I will find this hard to begin with!)
- // Have a banana, apple or grapes with my lunch instead of crisps
- // Cut evening snacks out of my diet unless its the weekend. I plan to have a low cal hot chocolate during the week if I feel deprived.
For those who already lead a healthy lifestyle and have for a long time my goals may seem half hearted or not life changing enough. For me this is a big step and it is just the beginning of my wellness journey.
Happy weekend everybody! 🙂